Batata poha or the wet variety of poha is called ' soosala' in some parts of North karnataka and it is very easy and quick to make and as such usually guests are offered either this or upma in the North karnataka region.
One of my friends in Indus ladies forum had asked me to post this recipe.. so here is the recipe for her and to you all.
- 3 cups thick poha(nirmal brand)
- 1 onion cut into squares
- 1 tomato ( not very juicy)
- 1/4 cup cucumber or potato(I usually use either of these)
- 8-9 curry leaves
- 2 -3 strands coriander finely chopped.
- 3 green chilies .. or as per taste
- 1/2 lemon/lime
- oil 1 tbsp
- mustard 1/2 tsp
- cumin 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida ,a pinch
- udad dal 1/2 tsp
- peanuts, 1 tbsp
- dalia 1 tbsp
- turmeric 1/4 tsp
- sugar 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste.
- in a large vessel heat oil, add udad dal .. let it turn golden and add mustard and cumin.
- add curry leaves,asafoetida,dalia and peanuts,turmeric,cut vegetables and let the vegetables cook. Meanwhile in a strainer quickly wash the poha in cold water taking care that it does not become soft.(if you are using very thick variety of poha , wash ahead and set aside for 10 -15 mins)
- add washed poha stir, and add salt, sugar,and mix well gently.
- cover and let cook for a minute and set aside.squeeze lemon and mix well.
- serve hot garnished with finely chopped coriander.( it is sometimes garnished with freshly grated coconut, hot mix, bhujiya(sev)