Green tomato chutny
no onion,garlic,coconut,ginger, n no dals!!This is a super tasty,sweet n sour chutny.This is my grand mother's recipe.So I am the third generation preparing this chutny.I used to help my grandmother grind this chutny in the black coloured,stone 'khalbatta' (mortor n pestel)that is still there.That way I remember the ingredients that were put in the chutney.
My grand mother's food always tasted the best as she used to cook her everyday food on 'sigdi'.And I must say,there is some X factor adds to the taste of hand ground chutny.
The unique thing about this chutny is that there is no ginger,garlic,coconut. even the udad dal or channa dal are not added to it.That gives a different taste to this chutny recipe!
This tastes best with hot rice and ghee,jowar roti,hot chapati.
The ingredients are:
- green tomatoes 3.med. sized
- green chilies,6-7
- roasted groundnuts,a handful
- roasted til or sesame seeds, 1-2 tbsp
- jaggery 2-3 tbsp
- salt as per taste
- oil 1 tbsp
Ingredients for tempering:
- 2 tsp cooking oil,
- 1 tsp mustard seeds,
- hing (asafoetida)1/4 tsp
- turmeric 1/4 tsp
- wash and wipe clean the green tomatoes and green chilies
- cut the tomatoes lengthwise
- heat a small kadhai
- add 1 tbsp oil
- add the chopped tomatoes and green chilies.
- saute till soft.At this stage it will be a very pungent aroma of green chilies all around. so to avoid it you can saute it covered.
- once the tomatoes n chilies are soft,switch off the flame and let cool.
- add the cooled stuff,groundnuts,til,jaggery and,salt to a mixer jar and grind .some like the texture of the chutny bit coarse,some smooth. so grind as you like.
- heat oil in a tadka pan.
- add mustard seeds.let crackle.
- switch off the flame.Add hing(asafoetida) and turmeric powder.
- Add to the ground chutny.
In this chutny the dominating flavours are sweetness of jaggery,sourness of tomatoes and the aromatic hing!!
Try this and let me know how you liked it!