Wishing all a very happy and colourful Holy!!
I know I am posting this a bit late,but better to be late than never!!By the way holy is celebrated till Ranga panchami day,As such I guess I am not posting too late on the occasion!!
On holi purnima day,(which fell on 5th of this month) usually puran poli(bele obbattu/hooraNada hoLige) is prepared.But me being occupied with some other things,was not able to do puran poli this time. :(
Usually it is either of puran poli or karigadabu at my home on most of the festivals,and whenever its not possibel to do either, the alternative is always HAYAGREEVA/MADDI/KADLE BELE PAYASA.Being in hurry I prepared Hayagreeva today on the occasion of Holi purnima.Hayagreeva is one of the Pancha pakvannas, or the traditional,great 5 sweets.
This is easy to prepare.
The ingredients for Hayagreeva are:
- chana dal (bengal gram)1/2 cup
- grated jaggery less than 1/2 cup
- ghee 1 tbsp
- grated dry coconut 2-3 tbsp
- dry fruits as required
- cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
- poppy seeds/gasagase 1 tbsp
- rice flour 2 tbsp.
Method of preparing Hayagreeva:
- wash the dal.Put in a cooker container.Pour water just enough to cover the dal.
- cook upto 3 whistels.Let the pressure go down. mean while,
- heat a khadai,add ghee,roast dry fruits(dry grapes,cashew,almonds) and keep aside.
- In the same ghee put grated coconut and roast a bit,add poppy seeds and roast then add the rice flour and roast till the nice aroma is released.
- To this add slightly mashed chana dal.let it boil for some time.
- Add grated jaggery,cardamom powder and cook for a few minutes.switch off the stove and roasted dry fruits.
- Serve garnished with grated dry coconut.
Some times even edible camphor and diamond sugar is also added to this traditional sweet dish.
The rice flour added here will give a nice thick consistency and better flavour.
Hope you will like this.
HAPPY HOLY AGAIN!!