sauthe kayi thalipittu / thalipeeth /missi roti
My school friend Murghendra on whatsapp posted a picture of what all vegetables he had on hand.Asked for suggestions as to what he can cook for breakfast.The picture is given below.
I suggested him to make sauthe kayi thalipittu which is a north karnataka food.
He replied he had tried a hand at making thalipittu and was not sure he could take out thalipittu in one piece..as it sticks to the tava.
I thought ... next time I make the same should post it in my blog and share the recipe with him.
This is very easy recipe..requires few ingradients,very less time.. and the most important a very healthy meal which keeps you full for a longer time.
So here is the sauthe kayi thalipittu recipe for you Murghendra.
- 1 and 1/2 cups of jowar flour(jolada hittu)
- 1 tbsp rice flour*
- 1 tbsp gram flour(besan)*
- 1 and 1/2 cups of grated cucumber(sauthe kayi)
- 1 tsp red chili powder(byadagi)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder
- asafoetida(hing) a pinch
- salt as per taste
- oil to grease the griddle(tava)
- green chilies.. finely chopped ,as required
- mix all the ingredients well without adding water
- let it rest for 2 mins... cucumber oozes water...
- make a dough of the mixture using very little water as cucumber has a lot of water content in it.
- divide the dough into 3 parts... grease the tava and pat on it as thin or thick as you like.make holes on the patted roti.
- cook covered for 3-4 minutes on one side.. flip and cook for a minute more
- remove from the tava .. serve hot with ghee n pickle of your choice.
Enjoy for a breakfast or a quick luch or a lazy dinner.
Note:* ingredients are optional