set dosa/avalakki dosa
Set dosa is also called avalakki dose.The story of how I got this set dosa recipe is very funny indeed!
One day I was cleaning the rice and udad dal to soak.I was planning to prepare plain dosa for the breakfast next day.Suddenly I remembered my colony friends Radhika and Pavitra discussing about the dosa recipe previous evening.Usually in the evenings all my friends and their kids gather around the community hall of our colony.We have a nice group.Lot of exchange of thoughts goes on amongst us while the kids are busy playing around.
Pavitra had tried set dosa reipe given by Radhika.She was asking Radhika about the set dosa recipe she had spoiled that day.Radhika gave the recipe for set Dosa again and were talking about what mistake Pavitra had done!She will now remember this recipe for the rest of life!
I just kept Radhika's recipe in mind.I have been trying various set dosa recipes but not to the satisfaction.I thought I should give this one also a try.That's how suddenly I remembered of this set dosa recipe and immediately wanted to try!I changed the plan of making plain dosas and prepared set dosa with sagu next day.
Little did I know that my search for a very good set dosa recipe is going to end here!Thank you Radhika for sharing a perfect set dosa recipe!!And thanks to Pavitra for spoiling the recipe at the first try..had she not spoilt it and had she not discussed about it that day,I just would not have bumped onto this perfect recipe!!
ingredients for set dosa or avalakki dose:
- rice 3 cups
- thick poha or beaten rice 1 cup
- black gram or udad dal 1/2 cup
- methi seeds/fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- cumin 1/2 tsp
- peppercorn 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- oil/ghee as required to prepare dosa
- 1 -2 tsp powdered sugar to be added to the fermented batter just at the time of preparing dosas
Method to prepare batter:
- thoroughly wash the rice and dal separately
- Soak the rice and add the washed thick poha to it for soaking
- soak the udad dal.To this add pepper corns and cumin
- Let it soak well for about 6 hours.
- Grind well to form a thick batter.Do not make the batter too watery.
- take out the ground batter to a container to ferment add salt,stir well and let it ferment overnight.
Method to prepare Dosa:
- Take required amount of batter.Adjust the consistency adding water.
- Now add powdered sugar to this.It gives a nice colour to the dosas as sugar caramelises.(salt is already added.)
- heat the dosa tava.
- smear with some oil.
- take a ladle full of batter.pour on the heated tava.Do not spread.just give a quick,light spread to keep it thick.
- cover and let it cook.
- flip and cook on the other side.
- Repeat the procedure
Serve the hot set dosas with sagu and coconut chatni.
These set dosas are spongy,get perfect colour as there is a little bit of sugar used.That way you need not roast the dosas longer to get proper golden colour.
The hint of cumin,peppercorn,and fenugreek seeds enhances the taste.(optional.You can always skip these three ingredients if you want to)
you can skip adding cumin and pepper corn to this recipe.But adding it will enhance the taste.
This tastes good eaten hot from the tava.Once cooled the dosas turn rubbery due to avalakki in it.Thank you Radhika for sharing such a perfect set dosa recipe!!